Bloating treatment typically begins with changing your diet. Limiting foods that trigger bloating is essential.
Certain foods contain high amounts of non- or poorly digestible compounds that lead to increased gas. These foods include:
- Beans and lentils. Swap these for grains, meats, or quinoa. If you are going to eat beans, try soaking them or choosing easier-to-digest varieties such as pinto or black beans.
- Carbonated drinks. Instead, choose flat water or herbal tea to avoid gas.
- Wheat. This can be tricky to avoid, but you can incorporate several gluten-free alternatives into your diet, such as pure oats, quinoa, buckwheat, almond flour, and coconut flour.
- Broccoli and cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and brussel sprouts. While nutritious, these can trigger bloating for some. Instead, consume more spinach, sweet potato, and water-based vegetables like cucumber.
- Onions and garlic. To avoid excess gas, add flavor to your food with fresh herbs, or the green parts of scallions and chives.